About the Role
XRAY.FM is seeking a transformational, visionary leader to help the organization write the next chapter of its story. The next Executive Director of XRAY will guide the station in amplifying and diversifying revenue streams to support the station’s mission. The Director will foster a supportive environment of inclusion in which staff and volunteers feel empowered and bring their full selves to share their talents with the XRAY community. Along with the Board of Directors, the Director will also lead strategic planning to optimize resource utilization between XRAY and its affiliates KXRW Vancouver and The Numberz.
Our Executive Director (ED) will be joining an active volunteer board, 7 person staff, and over 100 volunteer DJs.
Please submit application materials by midnight PT on Friday, April 30.
XRAY is a non-profit community radio station showcasing a progressive blend of talk and music that amplifies the sounds and reflects the values of Portland, OR. XRAY started broadcasting in 2014, and has grown to be powered by a staff of seven employees, as well as numerous volunteers and 100+ volunteer DJs that lovingly curate the station’s programming which includes indie, hip hop, metal, soul, psych and beyond, with a dual focus on curation and discovery. Talk programming features local thinkers, comedians, journalists, and commentators who add analysis and nuance to issues that impact Portlanders both locally and globally.
Our Vision: To build a culturally relevant center for ideas, music, and creativity in service of a more open media and a more just community.
Our Mission: Our mission is to hold a microphone up to the best and most distinctive of Portland.
Key Duties Include:
Leadership & Management
- Champion for the station’s mission, vision, and values to the world.
- Actively engage and energize volunteers, board members, event committees, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Ensure that content serves XRAY’s mission and values.
- Expand audience reach and engagement, including improving the effectiveness of content development, widening distribution through social media and other platforms, and assessing performance through audience analytics.
- Evaluate the overall quality and effectiveness of XRAY’s broadcast programming and digital content; developing overall content strategy and providing content direction.
- Lead projects to promote the stability and growth of our terrestrial broadcast reach.
- Hire, evaluate, manage management-level staff.
- Provide HR oversight ensuring compliance, hiring staff, establishing fair, transparent compensation, and maintaining clear expectations through regular feedback.
- Lead annual performance reviews for permanent staff building a supportive culture of metrics-based feedback and teamwork.
- Engage in regular communication with staff individually and as a team.
- Provide professional development and leadership opportunities for staff including ongoing diversity, inclusion and equity training.
- Work with key staff, board and experts to maintain and enhance FCC licensure & compliance, technical infrastructure & engineering, studio & office space, digital & mobile reach, as well as programming & production.
- Ensure the organization has ample financial resources for sustainable operations through long-term planning and implementation.
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to ensure a sustainable and diversified funding plan for the organization’s longevity, including individual and sponsor/underwriter donor cultivation to support existing and future program operations.
- Lead work with fundraising committee and development staff to raise funds for the organization via the major gifts program, membership, underwriting, donor cultivation, grant applications and other aspects of the station’s development plan.
- Manage donor relationships and new donor cultivation.
- Expand grant fundraising capabilities and capacity in partnership with Grants Coordinator.
- Work with the Finance Committee to develop a budget recommendation to the board.
- Monitor and actively manage cash flow and budget.
- Report monthly financial standings to the board.
- Plan and execute capital investment strategy.
- Able to lead the maintenance of strong financial systems that will simultaneously allow for control and maximize the work of XRAY toward its mission.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and/or Google Spreadsheets is required.
Communications & Community
- Provide regular, transparent and relevant communication between board, staff, key stakeholders, and community at-large.
- Maintain close relationships with key stakeholders and expanding partnerships to promote stability, increase diversity, and ensure inclusion.
- Ambassador to regulators and stakeholder groups including the FCC, Metro East, and media organizations like KXRW and The Numberz.
- Deepen and refine overall communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a recognizable, impactful brand.
Planning & Organizational Development
- Identify key organizational priorities and ensure that sufficient resources are devoted to achieving them.
- Seek and build board involvement with strategic direction.
- Work with the Board President and staff to track progress, regularly evaluate programs, and measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Support board recruitment, onboarding, engagement, and regular communication.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, local, grantor, and other policies and regulations; ensuring proper and timely filing of all required federal, state, grantor and other reports and filings (e.g. FCC, IRS.)
- Leadership experience advancing diversity, equity and inclusion resulting in organizational change. Strong written and verbal communication with training and/or extensive experience in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice as well as active listening.
- 7+ years of progressive management of an organization including: managing personnel, successful fundraising and earned income, as well as effective financial management. Financial aptitude with budgets, cash-flow reporting, capital investment.
- 5+ years of active fundraising success including recurring revenue streams, individual giving, development campaigns/fund drives, corporate sponsorships, and foundation proposals. Preferred if this includes success with increasing financial resources from philanthropy.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in leadership, team development, volunteer engagement and financial management.
- Strong team-building skills emphasizing organizational goals and mission-oriented success.
- Knowledge and experience with applicable Federal Communications Commission (FCC) statutes a plus.
- Experience in radio and knowledge of the dynamics and trends affecting the current and future environment of XRAY.
- Effective at analyzing and evaluating data and using benchmarking with other public media or local non-profits to drive strategic initiatives.
- Veteran of governance topics who is knowledgeable of and effective at board operations and governance relationships.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), and Google suite. A plus if familiar with radio systems (e.g. CRM).
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range of $55,000 to $70,000. Employees also receive generous PTO, and access to OregonSaves retirement savings program.
Schedule: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Board of Directors
Start Date: 7/1/21 or on a mutually agreed upon date.
How to Apply
To apply, please provide
- a resume of prior work experience, and
- a written cover letter that tells us why you would be a good fit for the Executive Director position and how you see the future of XRAY.FM taking shape with your leadership.
Please email these materials to: HR@xray.fm. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Please submit no later than midnight PT on Friday, April 30th, 2021. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
XRAY.FM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, gender expression and identification, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.