Do you have a passion for community radio and a knack for collaborating with community partners? Consider joining the XRAY team! While we hope to be back in our office and studios in the Falcon Arts Community soon, for the time being our staff is remote. We do expect this anticipate this position including some non-remote work post-pandemic, which would be located in Portland, OR. Any questions about the position or hiring process should be directed to email@example.com.
Job Title: Sponsorship Manager
Schedule: .5 FTE (20 hours/week)
XRAY.FM is a purpose-driven media organization. We aim to create a culturally relevant center for ideas, music, and creativity in service of a more open media and a more just community. We’ve been broadcasting an eclectic mix of music and talk content on 91.1 and 107.1 FM in Portland since 2014. In 2018 our media family expanded with the launch of partner services KNUM 96.7 FM “The Numberz”, with radio programming made by and for Black Portland; and the XRAY Podcast Network at http://www.xraypod.com. We’ve been honored to be named Best of Portland for 5 years (2015-2019) and are honored to have spent 2020 lifting up community members, nonprofits, Black-owned businesses, local candidates, artists & creatives, and all those seeking connection and joy amidst a difficult time.
About the role
About 25% of our revenue is generated by content sponsorship, with the vast majority of that being in the form of underwriting (short non-promotional radio spots that thank a business for their support).
We are looking for someone who can form and cultivate relationships that result in revenue and foster long-term community partnership. This person will also take a birds-eye view of sponsorships as a whole to keep track of things like revenue raised monthly/quarterly/annually, progress toward goals, missed payments, etc.
Key duties of the Sponsorship Manager role include:
- Meet goals for on-air, podcast, and event sponsorship and underwriting by retaining current sponsors and finding new ones. You’ll seek referrals, cultivate leads, make cold calls, arrange pitch presentations, send lots of thank you notes/gifts, prepare agreements, create and update sponsor decks, and generally do what it takes to manage our sponsor accounts and maintain positive relationships with our business partners.
- Handle administrative and customer service duties related to sponsorship deals. You’ll facilitate payment, keep the database up to date, and work with the Traffic Manager to ensure on-air sponsor spots are produced, filed, and scheduled correctly with engaging, FCC-compliant, content.
- Track and report on revenue, including monitoring progress toward targets and generating forecasts for upcoming months.
- Facilitate regular (at least two per month) meetings with staff supporting sponsorships.
- Project manage periodic sponsorship related projects, such as distributing holiday gifts, redesign/refresh of sponsorship materials, website updates, etc.
- Participate in general fundraising activities, including events and radio on-air fundraising appeals.
- Opportunities to create or participate in creation of content for radio, podcast, and digital distribution.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Dedication to organizational mission and values and understanding of the importance of independent, not-for-profit media.
- Professional experience in nonprofit fundraising and/or sales with a proven track record of meeting revenue targets strongly preferred.
- Established network of community and business contacts or the ability to build a network.
- Intermediate skill in Excel / Google Sheets.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Keen eye for details and a knack for organization.
- Willingness to put yourself out there, even when rejection is likely.
- Ability to stay calm amidst multiple exciting opportunities and deadlines.
- Experience working with diverse communities, including Communities of Color.
- Sense of humor is good (and potentially necessary.)
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary range of $31,200 to $35,000, prorated for .5 FTE. Employees also receive generous PTO, access to OregonSaves retirement savings program, and free tickets to concerts and other events put on by organizational partners.
How to apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting your relevant skills and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 28, 2021. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.